On my former life as a writer
I am the co-author and editor of the book The Essential Guide to Being Polish, released July 2013. I also wrote and was the project manager for a workbook for startups titled PowerGuide for InnoEnergy. You can read an excerpt from it here.
I have experience as both a freelance writer and tech journalist and as an editor, with over four years of combined experience as the editor-in-chief of a newspaper and online publication. My areas of expertise include tech and startups (particularly cleantech), history, politics, European culture, and literature in emigration, though I am an obsessive reader of physics, astronomy and neuroscience books and love to write on those topics as well.
In addition to writing, I am also a freelance translator, and started my own location-independent translation business in January 2011 called Tłumaczenia Bez Biura (Translations Without an Office). I specialize in Polish to English translation, as well as proofreading or copyediting already translated English text.
Reviews of The Essential Guide to Being Polish
"[A] carefully researched but reader-friendly peregrination through the story of Poland—a thrilling if sometimes depressing ride you wouldn't believe if you read it in a novel. . . . I can say honestly . . . that The Essential Guide to Being Polish will not disappoint." — Krakow Post
"Do you plan to visit Poland for the first time? Are you contemplating a return trip? Do you enjoy reading about other countries and their cultures? If you answered 'yes' to any of the above then you must read The Essential Guide to Being Polish. . . . Once you start reading, you’ll want to read it all." — Am-Pol Eagle
"I invite you on this journey into the depths of the Polish soul." — from the foreword by former Polish President Lech Walesa
“The Essential Guide to Being Polish recounts the political and cultural history of Poland—and, if you will, of Polishness—with a reader-friendly, streamlined clarity that is leavened with wit and timely, amusing turns, but that for all its playfulness never loses sight of the essential complexity of its subject.” —Stuart Dybek, award-winning author of The Coast of Chicago and I Sailed with Magellan
- Excerpt from the second edition of the PowerGuide for InnoEnergy
- Published articles on Bitspiration: Tech News from Poland
- My writing on Medium
- The "best of" my blog, Saving Ink
- More than Good Vodka: The Polish Startup Scene for Startup Xplore
- Why Kung Fu is Perfect for Nerds for Nerd Fitness
- Archive: Saving Ink, January 2009-present
- Archive: Articles written for the Krakow Post, 2007-2010
- Archive: Articles written for the TEDxKraków blog
- I was interviewed about the topic of women in tech and startups in Poland for the ProCEEd Podcast.
- If you read Polish, here's an article on my role as editor in chief of the Krakow Post: Nowa krakowska gazeta dla obcokrajowców.
- Finally, very rarely and reluctantly I've done TV/web video interviews. Here's one of them: INMA Poll: Anna Spysz, Editor in Chief, Krakow Post.